Ordinance Number #10-2017
An Ordinance to Establish the Village of Barryton Planning Commission
THE VILLAGE OF BARRYTON ORDAINS:
The Village of Barryton Council creates the Village of Barryton Planning Commission with power to make, adopt, extend, add to, or otherwise amend, and to carry out plans for lands within the Village limits. The following rules of procedure are hereby adopted by the Village of Barryton Planning Commission to facilitate the performance of its duties and responsibilities as outlined in the Michigan Planning Enabling Act, Public Act 33 of 2008, MCL 125.3801 et. seq., as amended, the Michigan Zoning Enabling Act, Public Act 110 of 2006, MCL 125.3101 et. seq., as amended, and the Open Meetings Act, Public Act 267 of 1976, MCL 15.261, as amended.
Sec.1 Village of Baryton Planning Commission
The Village of Barryton Planning Commission (also referred to as the “Planning Commission”)
SECTION 2: Membership
- The Planning Commission shall be composed of seven (7) members appointed by the Village President subject to the approval of a majority vote of the members of the Village Council.
- All members, other than the ex officio member, shall be appointed for three (3) year staggered terms. The term of the ex officio member shall expire with his/her term on the Village Council.
- A vacancy on the Planning Commission shall be filled for the remainder of the unexpired term. The Planning Commission shall notify the Zoning Administrator of any vacancies. Publication of the vacancy and solicitation of applications may occur as needed.
Village Council Representative. Two (2) members of the Village of Barryton Council may serve as the ex officio member to the Planning Commission. Village Council members cannot be Chairperson of the Planning Commission.
SECTION 3: Officers
- Selection and Tenure. At the first regular meeting each December, the Planning Commission shall select from its membership a Chairperson and Secretary. Such officers shall be elected by a majority vote of the membership of the Planning Commission, and shall take office immediately following their election. All officers shall serve a term of one (1) year, or until their successors are selected and assume office, except as noted in B. and C., below. If a vacancy occurs, a replacement will be elected at the next regular meeting. All officers shall be eligible for re-election for consecutive terms for the same office.
- Chairperson. The Chairperson shall preside at all meetings of the Planning Commission, and shall conduct all meetings in accordance with rules adopted herein. The Chairperson, with assistance from the Planning Commission Secretary and the Zoning Administrator, shall set the agenda and compile meeting packets.
- Secretary. The Secretary shall perform such duties as the Planning Commission may determine, including providing sufficient information from which to prepare the minutes of each meeting. The meeting minutes shall contain, but not be limited to, a brief synopsis of the meeting, including a complete restatement of all motions and record of votes, conditions, or recommendations made on any action and record of attendance. A recording secretary may be utilized subject to the approval of Village Council; however, the Planning Commission Secretary is ultimately responsible for the state of the minutes. All pertinent documentation regarding Planning Commission proceedings are also the responsibility of the Secretary.
SECTION 4: Meetings
- Open Meetings Act Compliance. All meetings of the Planning Commission shall comply with the requirements of the Open Meetings Act.
- Regular Meetings. The Planning Commission shall hold not less than twelve (12) regular meetings each year. Regular meetings of the Planning Commission will be held on the first Wednesday of each month beginning at 6:00 p.m. in the Village Hall unless otherwise rescheduled by resolution of the Planning Commission. Other meetings may be held as necessary. When a regular meeting falls on a legal holiday or upon a day resulting in a conflict, the Planning Commission shall, if possible, select a suitable alternate meeting date in the same month as the originally scheduled meeting. For a regular Planning Commission meeting that is rescheduled, a public notice stating the date, time, and place of the meeting shall be posted at the Village offices at least eighteen (18) hours before the meeting.
Sec. 5 Notice to be published
The Village Clerk shall publish this ordinance in the manner required by law
The provisions of the Ordinance are hereby declared to be severable, and if any part is declared invalid for any reason by a Court of competent jurisdiction, it shall not affect the remainder of the Ordinance which shall continue in full force and effect.
THIS ORINANCE SHALL TAKE EFFECT THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER PUBLICATION.ALL ORDINANCES OR PARTS OF ORDINANCES IN CONFLICT ARE HEREBY REPEALED.
I hereby certify to the adoption of this ordinance at the November_______ 2017 council meeting and cause the same to be published as required by law.
Yeas _________ Nays_________ Ordinance declared adopted
Published________________2017 Effective Date __________________2017